It’s Winter and you are wanting to curl up on the couch and hibernate until Spring. You plan on selling your house, but feel there isn’t much you need to do and can wait until March or April. WRONG. If you’re planning to sell your home this Spring, the time to prep it for selling is now. Your life will be much easier when all you need to do is minimal landscape in March before putting your home on the market. If you’re selling this Spring and your home is 15 years or older, here’s what you need to assess before putting your home up for sale:
- Repairs– Check your windows, doors, walls and roof to make sure they are in good condition. Nothing deters buyers more than expensive repairs to homes. This will also give you more of a realistic expectation of where your house stands in regards to needed repairs and how that can affect your home’s value.
- Water Heater– On average, the water heater lasts about 15 years. There have been instances where a water heater can last longer, but this will be something you’ll need to think about when putting your home up for sale.
- Neutral Paint– You know when you watch HGTV and the buyers look at the crazy colors in a home and say “no?” They will be doing the same in your home if you have anything other than neutral. Now is the time to paint your home with neutral colors while you are cooped up during Winter. Of course we would love for color trends to come back, but that time is not now. Go buy grey, white, or tan paint and get to work. You’ll appreciate it later. If you’d like a more in-depth analysis of paint color, you can check out our blog on the ‘Psychology of Colors in a Home.’
- HVAC- How long has it been since you’ve had your HVAC system checked? Again, to have a more realistic outlook on the value of your home, you need to know the condition of it. These things will all be checked when inspection time comes, so don’t be surprised.
- Deep Clean and Declutter- Don’t wait until Spring for ‘Spring Cleaning,’ do it now. Also, get rid of things you don’t need. If you get rid of things now, you may not need a stager to come in and get rid of things for you. Now is your chance to make our house look clean for pictures and buyers.
Check with one of our agents and get their advice on what your home needs to sell this Spring. This article is a guide on what to expect during the listing process and make your life easier!
About the Author: Team Panella is your “go to” real estate team for all things real estate in Louisville.